- To clear your spaces, start by opening all the doors and windows to your home as the intention is to drive away the negative energies out of your spaces.
- During the Saging process, you can either choose to hold the Smudge stick in your hands or you can leave the bundle in a non-incendiary dish as you walk around the house (Eg. Abalone shell or a Smudging bowl).
- Light the top end of the Smudge stick and allow it to smolder and smoke as you walk around to every corner of your rooms, allowing the smoke to fill the entire room.
- You can go as quick or as slow or as many times around as you want. Intuitively you will know when but it is recommended you go around at least once. Some sources may say that you should go around the room in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction etc. but honestly, don't over complicate the process! Your intention is more important than anything!
- As an optional extra, people have been known to use a large feather to fan away the sage smoke into their spaces. While it is not necessary, it is just part of the ancient tradition/ritual.
- Also while going around to every room, you can say either out loud or in your head, a mantra/affirmation to help keep the negativity away. Something as simple as "I clear away all negativity and invite positive energy into my home" OR "this smoke cleanses negativity from my home and allows me to move forward in a new and positive direction".